State centre of cartographic and geodetic data of the Republic of Belarus was founded in 1993. Currently about 25 terabytes of geodesic and cartographic information are stored in the Centre.
The main directions of activities are collection, systematization, processing, analysis of topographic, geodetic and cartographic materials and data in graphical, digital and other forms.
Also State centre of cartographic and geodetic data of the Republic of Belarus is authorized to :
· examine thetechnical projects and estimates for the production of geodetic and cartographic works;
· supervise the standardization, normalization and regulating the names of geographical units;
· create digital maps and thematic geographic information systems;
· maintain the state directory of geographical objects names of the Republic of Belarus;
· examine materials and data obtained as a result of geodetic and cartographic works of public purpose.